Monday, July 21, 2008

HPV

In 2007 that HPV vaccine came out and that commercial with the moms and their daughters wanting them to be "one less" who gets cervical cancer.

"Recently, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a vaccine that is highly effective in preventing HPV infection with types 16 and 18, two “high-risk” types that cause 70 percent of cervical cancers, and types 6 and 11, which cause 90 percent of genital warts. The HPV vaccine is recommended for 11- to 12-year-old girls, and if the doctor decides, the vaccine can be given to girls as young as 9. The vaccine also is recommended for 13- to 26-year-old girls/women who have not yet received or completed the vaccine series. The vaccine is given through a series of three shots over a six-month period. The vaccine should be given before sexual activity begins (before contact with the HPV virus). Those who have not been infected with any type of HPV will benefit the most from the vaccine. Girls/women who are sexually active should still be vaccinated because they can get protection from the HPV types that they haven’t been infected with." (source)

Again, I was watching Oprah, and her OBGYN was on having an awkward Q & A days, and a woman asked about the vaccine. The Doc said that only 4 strands of the HPV virus have been linked to cervical cancer and there are thousands of strands of HPV. 200 woman die a year from cervical cancer and it is one of the few highly treatable and preventable cancers. "The American Cancer Society says that the survival rate for cervical cancer is about 90 percent. Most instances of HPV infections, even the pre-cancerous or cancerous ones, resolve on their own." (source)

How's this: 1600 girls had adverse reactions and there have already been 3 deaths from the vaccine.

There's been a lot of speculation surrounding vaccines recently-not just this one. As someone who's had to be on a medication regiment and having to accept that to lower your chances or "risk" of something you have to sometimes "suffer" the effects of that drug. I'm wondering if all that risk is really worth the effects my body has to undergo to keep the statistics low.

And just for the sake of comment arguments, let's say I'm of age to have a teenage daughter and this vaccine is out. I think I'd rather muscle through a series of uncomfortable conversations about sex and STD's and allow her to make a personal choice than make a trip to the doctor's office for a vaccine that hasn't been proven to be trustworthy yet. (And a vaccine that my daughter would only need if she contracted a certain STD and if that STD led to developing cervical cancer.)

What do you think?

3 comments:

Mags said...

Haha, Great. Because I turn 27 in 6 mos making me ineligible for the vaccine, I started it last month as have all the gals in my college dorm. GREAT TIMING CARA, (just kidding, I made my own decision to get the vaccine long ago and have waited until the last minute on purpose). I have enough health issues going on and on the way, and enough cancer in my family, that this is one potentially proactive thing I can do based on the odds. Of the recommended recipients, I'm probably one of the least intended recipients - old and married. But then again, wouldn't my virgin and similarly elder friend be too? This is sad, but if a stupid vaccine is going to kill me, I'm all for it - I don't for a second think it will, but if it did, I think things happen for a reason (and I'd get to see my mom).

I can't relate on the other part of it, dunno what I'd say to a teenage girl. I neglected to respond to the Oprah babies posts cuz I'm just now catching up, but I can't have biological kids though I CAN see where the desire and sometimes insanity stems from (andI hope I don't go there). Pregnancy should not be a money market for those women.

Mags said...

Sheesh, didn't mean to comment and make nobody else comment! :)

thatsilverlining said...

i think the vaccine is a big ripoff and marketing scam, personally. no offense your friend who posted above. 50% of the drugs marketed in our country and approved by the FDA were done so through forms of legal bribery. makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, huh?

i watched a "dan rather reports" episode about women in india today, which made me think about your earlier post. i would have to say i would be an advocate for paying someone to carry my child in order to dramatically change their life. (for the good). but i also believe, like you, that adoption should also be used. i want to adopt at least one child.