Thursday, December 4, 2008

brilliance

Frank Warren is the founder of the Post Secret art project that has turned into an international phenomenon where anonymous people submit secrets on 4x6 postcards to Warren's house. Frank Warren tours the country speaking at college campuses as well as touring with the traveling art exhibit that displays hundreds of secrets. There are 4 books that are a compilation of secrets collected over the years.

Last night, Frank made his first trip to Oklahoma and spoke at OU. He showed secrets that didn't make it in the books for various reasons (mostly because they contained copyrighted material.) He spoke about how and why he started the project and how it's evolved since. The man is brilliant. He narrated everything so well. The main theme was how sharing/displaying secrets is so powerful because it connects and unifies us as humanity. Everyone has something or somethings that they keep to themselves and we have a choice; to keep it or to share it. With PostSecret, people have seen that they are not alone in their secret. Warren believes that loneliness is the greatest obstacle for all of us to overcome and by sharing secrets we find out that we are not alone.

At the close of the night, Warren opened it up for questions and secret sharing. There were some funny secrets and some serious ones and a few questions. These are 2 that stuck out to me.

"My parents divorced when I was 10 and I've lived with my dad since. My mom is on her 4th marriage and I avoid seeing or staying with her because she has ruined the idea of marriage for me."

"My mom died when I was 10 and her name was Penny. Every time I see a penny I turn it face-up."

I'd highly recommend you go to one of the PostSecret events. It was brilliant.

3 comments:

Team Honnoll said...

That sounds so cool! I wondered what it was about. I'll have to read his book!

~ Marty Alan Michelson, Ph.D. said...

We're only as sick as our secrets.

Mags said...

I couldn't get tickets when he came to UVA recently!!!