Sunday, September 28, 2008

celebrating life



Meet Spencer Green. He passed away one year ago today at the age of 24. He had been struggling with cancer since the age of 19. He was a friend to all, an inspiration to many, and a testimony to the grace of God. He is greatly missed, but is celebrated and remembered today. Spencer made his experience with cancer one that challenged himself and others to live your life and not waste time or opportunities. "Enjoy Every Sandwich" was a motto he lived by. One of my many favorite songs is below. My favorite part is the bridge where he talks about tasting a dream and hearing the call of wilder things. It has been my anthem the last year as I try to figure out what I want to do with my life. I'm tasting dreams and I know they don't involve copier machines, and I'm hearing the call of wilder things...I just haven't arrived at the dream or wilder thing yet. I hope you can relate to the song and maybe it will remind you to taste a dream or listen to the call of wilder things.

iceberg

if this is all you ever knew, i could forgive you, if this is all you ever knew.
if this is all you ever saw, like an iceberg, that never got to thaw

i don't think i'd care too much
i don't think i'd mind one bit
if you never floated south to try to find your name

if this was all that you could be,
sitting here playing your video games on the tv
and if this is all that you could do,
with your perfect job, and your perfect raise
and your benefits too

i don't think i'd care too much
i don't think i'd mind one bit
if you never floated south to try to find your name

but i know that you have tasted a dream
and i know that it doesn't smell like a copier machine
and i know that you have heard the call of wilder things
i will never see

so i think you should go right now
you don't have to say goodbye
cause i could tell them that you went south to try to find your name.

i think you should go right now
you don't have to say goodbye
cause i could tell them that you went south to try to find your name.

i think you should go right now
you don't have to say goodbye
cause i could tell them that you went south to try and find your name.

-Spencer Green

2 comments:

Mags said...

very true, very awesome, how perfect!

happenstance said...

Cara I love reading your blogs! Either they are inspirational, funny or just plain truthful. So i hope you keep writing and expressing opinions and ideas we have all thought of but have never expressed.
And as a side note Iceberg is my fav. song of Spencer's and I wish I had it recorded so I could listen to it in my car!